Steve Litt on 4 Jan 2018 10:12:47 -0800

Re: [PLUG] The mysterious case of the Linux Page Table Isolation patches

On Tue, 2 Jan 2018 15:31:50 -0500
Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 1:02 PM, K.S. Bhaskar <bhaskar@bhaskars.com>
> wrote:
> > If the speculation at
> > http://pythonsweetness.tumblr.com/post/169166980422/the-mysterious-case-of-the-linux-page-table
> > is correct, the details should be very interesting, and may have
> > interesting consequences.
> >

> Looks like the rumors might be pushing up the embargo, unless it was
> due anyway.  The fixes were just released in a couple of stable
> kernels a few minutes ago.  I noticed that at least the 4.14 fix
> doesn't include the AMD patch that disables the setting on AMD CPUs.

Hi Rich,

By "disables the setting on AMD CPUs", do you mean disables KVM type
hardware assisted Virtual Machines, or do you mean it disables
something else?

I can withstand a 30% performance hit, but I really need my Virtual
Machines.

When confronted with the 30% performance hit, I'll be looking for a
much lighter browser to replace Chromium. Everything else I run is
pretty light and fast.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
December 2017 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive