Will on 8 Jan 2018 11:49:23 -0800

Re: [PLUG] [OT] Android development under Linux ?

Yeah... just bite the bullet and go straight to developing and testing on Android. My reasons for going straight for the target is that:

1.) Develop against the target you intend to work with. Android and desktop development are COMPLETELY different in terms of UI.
2.) All the debugging and development you are doing will essentially get replicated. Don't delay and dive into the frey.
3.) You will stumble across BETTER WAYS to solve your problems using the platform.

Mostly start playing with android to 1) get your build environment together. 2) get your emulation and debugging tools working 3) Understanding how the different views and android specific code work.

You will learn that there are some weird issues with android with passing around state information to different screens that one doesn't necessary have when it comes to working with multiple windows in a desktop application. Most importantly you will learn about your back end restrictions in terms of storage and database (yes.... you must use databases for persistent state storage for the most part).

Overall your efforts are noble but I feel you are delaying learning the platform in addition to essentially doubling the work for yourself. Dive in and have fun!!

-Will