Floyd Johnson on 8 Jan 2018 12:07:31 -0800

Re: [PLUG] [OT] Android development under Linux ?

By "dangerous on any platform", would that be in the vein of "A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing", or in the vein of "You name it, I can code for it"? :)

Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2018 14:54:12 -0500
From: Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net>
To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List"
	<plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Subject: Re: [PLUG] [OT] Android development under Linux ?

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 2:41 PM, Floyd Johnson <fljohnson3@isp.com> wrote:
Which tools/languages do you recommend for developing apps that will
ultimately have an Android version?

Currently, I'm doing it in Java, doing desktop proofs-of-concept with the
Eclipse IDE. Once I'm ready to put an Android app together, I haul the
relevant files into Android Studio, using my cellular as a testbed.

I can't shake the feeling that somebody out there either winced or muttered,
"Ewwwww..." upon reading that.
That is pretty-much the official way to go about it.

The only alternative I'd consider is some kind of cross-platform
toolkit, but I'm not really aware of anything that is
universally-accepted or FOSS.  There isn't really anything like gtk/qt
for iOS+Android+Windows+X11+OSX as far as I'm aware, or even just
iOS+Android.  There are definitely cross-platform toolkits, but most
are proprietary and none seem to have universal acceptance.

Disclaimer: I know enough about GUI software development to be
dangerous on any platform.

-- Rich