Steven Grunza on 8 Jan 2018 13:49:33 -0800

Re: [PLUG] [OT] Android development under Linux ?

I've been looking into wxWidgets (https://www.wxwidgets.org/) as a toolkit for a project that would ideally run under Windows, Linux, and Android.  Not sure about iOS since my iMac runs Ubuntu and I don't have any other Apple devices.

I've gotten side-tracked into trying to rebuild my phone's OS so I can include security patches but I seem to recall that wxWidgets looked like a reasonable toolkit and the license terms looked good for personal and commercial work.

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 2:54 PM, Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 2:41 PM, Floyd Johnson <fljohnson3@isp.com> wrote:
> Which tools/languages do you recommend for developing apps that will
> ultimately have an Android version?
>
> Currently, I'm doing it in Java, doing desktop proofs-of-concept with the
> Eclipse IDE. Once I'm ready to put an Android app together, I haul the
> relevant files into Android Studio, using my cellular as a testbed.
>
> I can't shake the feeling that somebody out there either winced or muttered,
> "Ewwwww..." upon reading that.

That is pretty-much the official way to go about it.

The only alternative I'd consider is some kind of cross-platform
toolkit, but I'm not really aware of anything that is
universally-accepted or FOSS.  There isn't really anything like gtk/qt
for iOS+Android+Windows+X11+OSX as far as I'm aware, or even just
iOS+Android.  There are definitely cross-platform toolkits, but most
are proprietary and none seem to have universal acceptance.

Disclaimer: I know enough about GUI software development to be
dangerous on any platform.

--
Rich