Greg Helledy on 16 Jan 2018 13:53:10 -0800

[PLUG] Weird handling of incoming attachments in dovecot--winmail.dat file

My users get emails generated by Outlook from a government agency. Our mailserver is dovecot running on CentOS 7. When these emails have attachments, something strange happens:

-some users see the attachments correctly (Excel spreadsheets being the most common)
-other users get a winmail.dat file.

All users are using Thunderbird as a mail client. The issue does not seem to be confined to the mail client--if the users go into webmail (Horde), the ones that get the winmail.dat still see information jumbled together (i.e. not handled as expected), while those who get the attachments properly in T-Bird also see it properly in webmail.

I want to make it clear that, although what I read implies this is strictly the result of Outlook, the same email sent from the agency to two users at our company is displayed in two different ways.

Basically, our server seems to be doing something weird with incoming attachments, on a per-user basis. Anyone ever had this? What would I look at to try to fix it?

Thanks,
--
Greg Helledy
GRA, Incorporated