george on 3 Feb 2018 14:38:48 -0800

[PLUG] Forcing traceroute to follow a specific IPv4 -IPv4 -IPv4 path

MiDomane.com is getting many "HEAD / HTTP/1.1" requests, whose timing
is getting sharper and sharper. When I calculate the path length
using the GPS coordinates of the originating IPv4 address ==> the
Intermediary IPv4 address ==> MiDomane.com's IPv4 address, I get very
satisfying results, because sorties of five to fifteen such requests
that arrive within a second or two of each other maybe thirty times
a day have path lengths that are nearly all within a few kilometers of
each other (out of 10,000 km), but a few queries are often "off" by
quite a bit. A clue is that sorties from the same ASN's through another
set of similar ASN's have the best combinations of path length and
arrival times.

I suspect that the actual path latencies might be a lot closer in
their timing, but my one good "hit" on an Internet search doesn't
work with my Trisquel installation:

stackoverflow_dot_com/questions/22097097/how-to-force-tracert-command-to-pass-by-a-specific-ip

I tried: "traceroute -d -j Node_A Node_B Node_C" with all three
nodes in IPv4 format.

Terminal doesn't like the crucial -j option; "man traceroute" doesn't
list any likely options. I have no Windows installation; however, I
might be able to persuade my missus to grant some research time ...

Is there a workaround in linux ?

Node_A is MiDomane.com's IPv4 address, Node_B is an Intermediary
Domain's IPv4 address, and Node_C is the Original Requester's IPv4
address, so it's a four step process from my own IPv4 address
through the other two to Node_C. I'll subtract the first step's
latency from the total latency to evaluate the relative latencies
between maybe twenty combinations of IPv4 addresses, not the
five hundred or so that are in my original study.

Thanks,
George Langford