Lee H. Marzke on 5 Feb 2018 13:25:18 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Topic for North (cloud stuff)

My use case for Amazon EC2,  was that I have a few Linux and/or freeBSD VM's running
locally on VMware,  and I'd like somewhere else to run them if/when I need to
bring down my cluster for maintenance,  typically no more than a few hours or days
at a time.     EC2 is attractive to run a workload for a few hours/days only.

Not many cloud sites support uploading your own VM,  until recently I though that
EC2 wasn't a good candidate because you can lose all your data when the instance
goes down.  Amazon tells you all the time any changes in the running instance may
be lost if the instance goes down because the storage is ephemeral.

Turns out that new EC2 AMI images now use persistent EBS storage for their
root volume instead of ephemeral storage,  and they now have a newish 'migration service'
that will allow upload of running VMware VM's,  so they appear to be supporting
more non-cloud native VM's, and they now provide snapshot pictures of the console
screen, but still don't give you full console or keyboard access.

So this works for me running a VM for a short time,  but full migration to cloud
would be risky for me without console access to fix these non-cloud designed VM's.

Lee