Joe Rosato on 6 Feb 2018 07:41:43 -0800

Re: [PLUG] "STOP! It's dangerous to upgrade to VMware 6.5 alone."

A little off topic, but...

https://www.barrons.com/articles/cisco-sells-a-third-of-vmware-stake-1517854498

Making their money before Dell deal?! ;-)

Joe

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018, 6:29 PM JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
I have to admit that while I know they are all over "do vCenter/vSphere
FIRST!" I haven't noticed the PSC thing as much.  OTOH, I don't have or
use any of those things, so I just tune it out so I may well have missed it.

I figured the reminder can't hurt, esp. with all the Meltdown/Spectre
patching going on, though note a LOT of the Spectre patches have been
pulled by a of vendors, including VMware.

On 01/26/2018 06:07 PM, Chris Knowles wrote:
> Considering the documentation from VMware is *extremely* explicit on the
> thought that one should upgrade the PSC first (if you have an external
> PSC) or all will be tears and recrimination...
>
> I'd say, while I have sympathy for this user's experience, perhaps more
> preparation before upgrading would have been in order.
>
> Now, if you want to talk about proxies and firewalls and VMware
> upgrades, that is a relatively undocumented set of pain points.
>
> CJK
>
> On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 2:49 PM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org
> <mailto:jp@jpsdomain.org>> wrote:
>
>     Interesting notes on a VMware upgrade problem, if you run VMware
>     with vCenter/vSphere/PSC, you should read this:
>     https://www.theregister.co.uk/AMP/2018/01/25/upgrading_to_vmware_vsphere_6_5_the_sysadmin_friendly_way/
>     <https://www.theregister.co.uk/AMP/2018/01/25/upgrading_to_vmware_vsphere_6_5_the_sysadmin_friendly_way/>
Later,
JP