John Ashmead on 13 Mar 2018 19:20:44 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Ready Player One: A Novel (and about to be a movie)

I gave up about 100 pages in. I skipped to the end to confirm:  yes he gets the girl & saves the world.  I saw nothing but cliches in this & the plot was on rail road tracks, a linear series of clues.

Maybe Spielberg will breath some life into it.  And he will certainly make sure there are good visuals.

I’m with Walt on this one

John

> On Mar 13, 2018, at 8:24 PM, Walt Mankowski <waltman@pobox.com> wrote:
>
> I really hated it too. It was nostalgia about things I'm not
> particularly nostalgic about. And if the nostalgia didn't do it for
> you, there's not much else in the book to enjoy. The writing's poor,
> the main character is one-dimensional, the minor characters are less
> than one-dimensional, and much of the plot is advanced via numerous
> lengthy infodumps. Cline couldn't even get the meter right for a
> limerick.
>
> I was actually hoping the movie might be better because of Spielberg's
> influence, but the early reviews I've read don't make me optimistic.
>
> Walt
>
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 04:26:19PM -0400, Doug Stewart wrote:
>> I feel like I'm in the minority on this one, but I found the book to be
>> derivative of better priors (Snow Crash, Neuromancer, Daemon) and to rely
>> too heavily upon 80's-flavored Memberberries. I kind of wonder whether
>> Spielberg's interpretation won't improve my impressions.
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 4:22 PM, Jeff Bailey <skydiver38@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Agree that the book was great.   I have reservations about the movie,
>>> mainly because it's Spielberg.  I see it as a grittier story than I imagine
>>> Spielberg will translate it.  Hope I'm wrong.

John Ashmead
139 Montrose Avenue
Rosemont, PA, 19010-1508
(610) 527 9560