Rich Freeman on 14 Mar 2018 08:30:52 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Presentation from PLUG North

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 10:38 AM, Andy Wojnarek
<andy.wojnarek@theatsgroup.com> wrote:
> Here is the presentation from PLUG North last night:
>
> https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/andywojohost/CSA.pdf

So, let me be the first to say that it was a great presentation, and I
learned a few things I hadn't known about AWS.

But, I figured I'd also use this link to point out a bit of trivia.
If you get an S3 link to a large file you can get a torrent for it
with a URL like this:
https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/andywojohost/CSA.pdf?torrent

If you download that link you'll get a torrent, which will download
the presentation.  Amazon S3 will seed that torrent.  If you're
hosting a large file on S3 and need to distribute it widely this is a
good way to cut down on your data costs as Amazon will only charge you
for the data it actually seeds, and any P2P data exchanged by clients
does not count against your account.  In the worst case it is the same
as just distributing the file, but it obviously scales better.

Sorry, couldn't resist, but I've always been impressed that they
implemented this feature...

--
Rich