JP Vossen on 14 Mar 2018 16:39:49 -0700

[PLUG] AWS Scripting using awscli and bash

$20 https://www.amazon.com/AWS-Scripted-Automate-Deployment-Resilient/dp/1503137775/ but see http://www.quickstepapps.com/ and download the code from http://www.quickstepapps.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/awsscripted.zip.

I first read this book at the end of 2016 but I had no context for most of it. I just re-read it today, in light of Andy's certification preso and some stuff at $WORK, and I thought it might be of interest.

This is a book that automates 100% of deploying "a resilient Web Application" in AWS, using the `aws` cli and bash from a Mac laptop. The author uses a Mac because it has bash and Windows sucks, but it's not clear why the thought of using an actual Linux desktop never seems to have occurred to him. (Shut up Walt. :-)

It's in...bash. That's cool because...hey, bash! But in a way it bugs me because Ansible is really a lot more suitable to a lot of what he's doing. There's also a lot in the author's bash code that I don't like, and there are some questionable security practices and pretty awful uses of `expect`.

BUT...it's bash. It's easy to see what is going on, and the examples of doing really practical things are REALLY, REALLY nice. It seems there are a lot of things you have to do in a certain order, and you need to build on previous steps using IDs of things you just created. And that's all in here, in code.

I haven't tried any of the code yet because my API access isn't sorted out, but I have no reason to believe the code will not work.

There's enough "book" there to get you going, but most of the later chapters are a couple of paragraphs and then just the verbatim code... The AWS code is interesting, but it gets into a lot of PHP, Apache and other stuff I don't care about. Still, the practical example is a fine idea and I like it.

Enjoy,
JP