Rich Freeman on 28 Mar 2018 07:43:58 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Meltdown's Big Brother

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 10:37 AM, jeff <jeffv@op.net> wrote:
> So you patched the Redmond Menace's Win7-64 and 2008R2 machines against
> Meltdown. Oops, now you have an even bigger problem:
>
> http://blog.frizk.net/2018/03/total-meltdown.html
>
> Today's question: is schadenfraude appropriate, or will the regular old head
> shaking and a snort do?

While this is a bit amusing, I'm sure this isn't the first security
patch to introduce a security vulnerability.  Clearly the patch needs
a patch.

Obviously anybody with vulnerable systems (just those versions of
windows, apparently) should patch.  However, this isn't quite the mess
meltdown, and especially spectre, represent, as this is a specific bug
in a specific piece of software and not an entirely new class of bugs
that nobody ever thought to protect against.

--
Rich