Rich Freeman on 3 Apr 2018 17:40:00 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Fwd: [FD] Massive Breach in Panera Bread

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 8:28 PM, Keith C. Perry
<kperry@daotechnologies.com> wrote:

> Even today, too many companies put security last
> or think they can throw a product at the solution instead of a real person.
> As a society, we still do not really value- or at least do not want to pay
> people with deep technical skills.

++

That said, the market tends to reward companies that do just this.  I
bet Panera is doing the same thing that just about every other company
in its industry is doing: using some canned software without much deep
internal expertise to understand things like this.

Panera just happened to get caught.  All their competitors will keep
on doing the same thing, and most of them won't get caught.

If Panera had wanted to hire strong expertise, they might have to
raise the cost of a meal by 10 cents and they'd probably lose a lot of
money as a result.  People aren't willing to pay more for a sandwich
just to have a more capable IT department, and even if they were they
don't have any way to assess how good the IT is in the first place.

It is just a big race for the bottom.

--
Rich