Paul Jungwirth on 5 Apr 2018 08:06:17 -0700

[PLUG] More strange web traffic (was: Re: understanding Russian threats)

On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 5:13 PM, Calvin Morrison <mutantturkey@gmail.com <mailto:mutantturkey@gmail.com>> wrote:

    I for one embrace our new russian overlords! I am actually learning
    Russian on duolingo right now.

I saw some strange traffic on a machine last week, and I was wondering if anyone could suggest was it was about?

My nginx config had a block to redirect http over to https, like this:

    server {
      listen 80;
      server_name example.com *.example.com;
      return 301 https://$host$request_uri;
    }

And I was getting tons of requests with full URLs, like you'd send to a proxy:

GET http://www.ioffer.com/i/new-fashion-fine-gold-bracelet-versaec-bracelet-641175733 HTTP/1.1

Because of the `$host` in my config, I was doing a redirect to the requested full URL.

Almost all the requests had Chinese-sounding domain names (so not Russians ;-) and seemed shopping-related. It didn't look like the usual scanning for /unpatched.php or whatever, but seemed to serve some other purpose. But what? (Note I was not actually proxying the requests, just responding with a 301.)

I wrote more details here: https://illuminatedcomputing.com/posts/2018/03/nginx_https_redirect/

If anyone has any ideas what the point of this traffic could be, I'd love to know!

--
Paul              ~{:-)
pj@illuminatedcomputing.com