Rich Kulawiec on 7 Apr 2018 10:41:40 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Fwd: [FD] Massive Breach in Panera Bread

On Fri, Apr 06, 2018 at 06:14:46AM -0400, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
> and this why I never report issues to vendors/operations privately
> (they will ignore the reports) and why I never report them in my own
> name (they will try to shoot the messenger).  Instead, I publish them
> anonymously with no advance notice, because experience has shown that's
> the best way to get them to pay immediate attention and to avoid being
> blamed for their mistakes.

Yes, I'm following up my own message, because it turns out that this
case -- Panera -- is exactly one of those.   They were warned --
months ago.  And they blamed the messenger:

	Panera Bread Disregards Security Flaw Warnings as "Scam"
	https://geekreply.com/geek-culture/2018/04/05/panera-bread-disregards-security-flaw-warnings-as-scam

And then they failed to fix it properly, choosing instead to (poorly)
obscure the problem and to lie about it (read the entire article):

	Panerabread.com Leaks Millions of Customer Records
	https://krebsonsecurity.com/2018/04/panerabread-com-leaks-millions-of-customer-records/

This is typical, and this is why the "responsible disclosure" mythos
is utterly worthless.

---rsk