Rich Kulawiec on 6 Apr 2018 03:14:56 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Fwd: [FD] Massive Breach in Panera Bread

On Tue, Apr 03, 2018 at 04:07:11PM -0400, Keith C. Perry wrote:
> That's a big deal... this guy did the right thing, kept it quite- just
> fix it. These folks still did nothing until it went public. They're going
> to need to start penalizing organizations if they can't demonstrate they
> took corrective action.

That's not going to happen.   It *should* happen, but it won't.  Instead,
this is what's going to happen:

	Georgia criminalizes routine security research
	https://boingboing.net/2018/03/30/bruce-thompson-404-656-0065.html

and this why I never report issues to vendors/operations privately
(they will ignore the reports) and why I never report them in my own
name (they will try to shoot the messenger).  Instead, I publish them
anonymously with no advance notice, because experience has shown that's
the best way to get them to pay immediate attention and to avoid being
blamed for their mistakes.

Wish it didn't have to be that way, but that's where we've arrived.

---rsk