Steve Litt on 8 Apr 2018 11:55:08 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Fwd: [FD] Massive Breach in Panera Bread

On Wed, 4 Apr 2018 10:08:15 -0400
Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 9:01 AM, Ezra Wolfe <ewolfe@ethosce.com> wrote:
> >> Many years ago when Commerce bank was around they weren't using
> >> POST, so my SSN was being sent via a URL. It was SSL, so maybe
> >> that was just me being pedantic.
> >
> > Even with SSL those SSNs would be in web server logs, almost
> > certainly unencryped - not pedantic at all.
> >

> Sometimes I think the cleanest solution to this problem would be for
> the Social Security office to just publish the official list updated
> daily of all SSNs and their owner's names and addresses.
>
> It is basically public info already at this point, but maybe people
> would actually start to realize that this is the case.
>
> Maybe as a follow up credit card companies should be required to
> publish the credit card numbers and names of all their customers.
> That is also basically public info at this point.
>
> At some point society needs to realize that shared secrets that you
> share with half the planet aren't very useful shared secrets.

I'd like your solution if, and only if, you can posit a superior
alternative. My alternative, cash, works great at the local grocery
store, but when I buy things online I just say a little prayer before
buying, and, um, I don't feel much better.

Something nobody's brought up is that computers 10 years in the future
will be able to easily brute-force today's encryption, so if you're
feeling easy that nobody can read your plans to build a 15KT nuclear
device and sell it for a million dollars, well, anyone saving that file
for 10 years can read it retroactively.

Ugh!

SteveT

Steve Litt
April 2018 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist