Rich Freeman on 9 Apr 2018 08:30:22 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Android FM Receiver App

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 11:23 AM, Chris Thistlethwaite
<chris@thistlethwaite.net> wrote:
> Believe you have to have motorola/lenovo phone for this app to work
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.motorola.fmplayer but
> that's what I have on my G5 Plus. You might have better luck finding the apk
> and sideloading as the play store FM apps are fairly restrictive to phone
> hardware.

The issue is that as far as I'm aware there is no Android API for
accessing FM tuners.  Any API that exists is vendor or possibly model
specific.  Presumably it also requires support in the firmware (ie if
you're not running stock then you need the firmware to expose an API
and target THAT API, assuming the firmware has drivers for what is
likely a proprietary hardware interface).

If your vendor doesn't actually publish an API then unless somebody
has reverse-engineered it (and the firmware allows it), you're stuck
with whatever app the vendor provides for this (likely part of the
firmware).

--
Rich