PaulNM on 10 Apr 2018 05:35:45 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Android FM Receiver App

NextRadio apparently can use built-in FM radios, they have a pretty comprehensive list for US phones at http://nextradioapp.com/supporteddevices/ as well as lists for Canada, Latin America, and Korea.

My Nokia 6 isn't on that list, even though it has a chip that works fine with the "FM Radio" app in Nokia's ROM. I tried NextRadio and it couldn't see a chip. I don't know if it probed and failed, or if they don't even try on phones they don't already know work. I even tried powering on the radio inside FM Radio before starting NextRadio.

The bigger issue for you is everything I see online indicates the Moto Pure X does not have a hardware FM chip at all.

As for other phones, make sure you have headphones/earbuds in before you try, as they're the antenna. Every app I've used won't even work at all otherwise.

Another thing to consider is I've heard rumors that in the past some carriers have disabled the chip via their ROM, so it might not even work at all even if it is there. There are also cases where the "stock" board/chipset has the chip, but the OEM ordered custom versions without them.

-- PaulNM