Joe Rosato on 25 Apr 2018 10:17:26 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Recovering my laptop

No. System booted (sda1/2 were OK) but could not unlock because - corruption.

After some searching I arrived here. I must have overwritten the LUKS header by writing a bootloader over it. Which is possible. Luckily I have my data backed up elsewhere, just a bummer to rebuild. The only part that puzzles me is the /dev/sda3 disappearing. I might have messed up a header but then I would expect /dev/sda3 to be there.. with just confusing data. How would an overwrite corrupt the partition enough to come back as.. well, not a partition?!

To stop this badness in the future, here is a good short article on using your un-encrypted /boot to store both your LUKS header backup and LVM information.

Joe