Charlie Li on 25 Apr 2018 10:29:03 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Recovering my laptop

On 25/04/2018 13:17, Joe Rosato wrote:
> After some searching I arrived here
> <https://askubuntu.com/questions/674709/luks-encrypted-device-gone-missing>.
> I must have overwritten the LUKS header by writing a bootloader over it.
> Which is possible. Luckily I have my data backed up elsewhere, just a
> bummer to rebuild. The only part that puzzles me is the /dev/sda3
> disappearing. I might have messed up a header but then I would expect
> /dev/sda3 to be there.. with just confusing data. How would an overwrite
> corrupt the partition enough to come back as.. well, not a partition?!

All it takes is partition /table/ modification for partitions to
disappear with the actual data/filesystem completely intact, so as long
as nothing was since written to the region where the table pointed.

Fun aside: this is how you grow a partition (as long as you still have
"unallocated" space): delete the partition to grow using (c/f/g)disk or
(g)parted or whatever, then create a new one with the same starting
sector but obviously larger size. The filesystem remains the same size
(and data) as before until you expand it to your now-larger partition size.

--
Charlie "howling wheel bearings" Li

with vishwin for off-list communication)