Walt Mankowski on 1 May 2018 18:16:29 -0700

Re: [PLUG] [plug-announce] Wed May 2 - PLUG Central - "A Punch Card Ate My Program" by Walt Mankowski (7pm at USP)

On Tue, May 01, 2018 at 05:07:13PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Tue, 1 May 2018 11:57:20 -0400
> "Paul L. Snyder" <paul@pataprogramming.com> wrote:
>

> >   Abstract:
>
> >   In previous talks, I argued that COBOL isnâ??t such a bad
> >   language. In this talk, weâ??ll journey deep into the past to
> >   recreate a retro bug that could only happen in COBOL! Our
> >   travels will include:
> >
> >     syntactic white space!
> >     scotch tape!
> >     dueling compiler options!
> >     virtual punch cards!
> >     sentences!
> >     code blocks!
> >     periods!
>
> Don't forget the Alter statement.

I must confess that I had in fact forgotten about the ALTER
statement. But, in a minor spoiler alert, I'll disclose that the ALTER
statement was not to blame for this particular bug.

Walt