Rich Freeman on 17 May 2018 10:16:28 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Gentoo Shut Down Stalls

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 1:02 PM Charlie Li <ml+PLUG@vishwin.info> wrote:

> On 17/05/2018 12:59, Casey Bralla wrote:
> > When I shutdown my Gentoo system (openRC) (shutdown -h now), the system
> > begins to shut down normally, but then stalls after completing the
> > "mount all filesystems read-only" step.  I then have to power off
> > manually using the power button.
> >
> Halt doesn't cut power, only prevents further execution. Please reread
> the man page for shutdown for a more appropriate flag.

The default of shutdown -h is to poweroff.  You need to use -H to actually
halt.  At least that is what the sysvinit manpage says.  I got into a bit
of a debate with somebody a little while ago and it seems like behavior has
varied quite a bit historically on this general front, though I wasn't
looking at the -h flag in particular there.

My guess is that some device wasn't cleanly removed at some point in time,
and that there is probably a kernel issue.  I've seen stuff like this
happen on occasion.  Linux isn't always great about handling things like
mounted devices suddenly disappearing.  If you ever find yourself running
umount -l don't be surprised if you run into an issue on shutdown.

Other symptoms of this sort of issue include unkillable zombie processes,
and command line processes that just hang and don't respond to ^C when they
try to access whatever resource is causing the issue (like running commands
like mount/umount, df, and so on).

I usually resolve this by shutting down any daemons I can, unmounting
whatever I can, and then doing the Alt-SysRq-S-U-B routine (which should
flush most of your filesystems out).

--
Rich