Alan McConnell on 17 May 2018 12:31:41 -0700

[PLUG] Fwd: Gentoo Shut Down Stalls

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Rich Freeman" <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net>
To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2018 1:16:12 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Gentoo Shut Down Stalls

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 1:02 PM Charlie Li <ml+PLUG@vishwin.info> wrote:

> On 17/05/2018 12:59, Casey Bralla wrote:
> > When I shutdown my Gentoo system (openRC) (shutdown -h now), the system
> > begins to shut down normally, but then stalls after completing the
> > "mount all filesystems read-only" step.  I then have to power off
> > manually using the power button.

      I have a perhaps related issue with my Debian(jessipe)  In the evening
      before going to bed I run    sudo shutdown -h now  .  After entering
      my password, the screen goes immediately dark.  Except sometimes there
      is a flickering in the upper left, and the light on the box itself still
      glows.  It sometimes takes up to a couple of minutes before the machine
      actually shuts down and turns itself off.   Other times it shuts down
      immediately.

Of course this behavior is not a problem.  But maybe some clever Debianists
here can explain what's going on, to gratify my idle curiosity<G>.

Best wishes,

Alan McConnell, in Silver Spring MD