Charlie Li on 17 May 2018 13:07:49 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Fwd: Gentoo Shut Down Stalls

On 17/05/2018 15:31, Alan McConnell wrote:
>       I have a perhaps related issue with my Debian(jessipe)  In the evening
>       before going to bed I run    sudo shutdown -h now  .  After entering
>       my password, the screen goes immediately dark.  Except sometimes there
>       is a flickering in the upper left, and the light on the box itself still
>       glows.  It sometimes takes up to a couple of minutes before the machine
>       actually shuts down and turns itself off.   Other times it shuts down
>       immediately.
>
> Of course this behavior is not a problem.  But maybe some clever Debianists
> here can explain what's going on, to gratify my idle curiosity<G>.

Are you running shutdown(8) in an X session? Besides the video mode
possibly not switching back to tty, an excerpt from Debian's man page
(which uses sysvinit-core):
> Init can only capture CTRL-ALT-DEL and start shutdown in console mode. If the system is running the X window System, the X server processes all key strokes. Some X11 environments make it possible to capture CTRL-ALT-DEL, but what exactly is done with that event depends on that environment.

Hardware support of even software-initiated power down (compared to say,
correctly implementing Intel's HDA specification) from shutdown(8) or
some variation of reboot(8) with the appropriate flag/option is hard.
All of the BSDs have a caveat on the same line describing the -p flag
(halt, then poweroff/powerdown) in some variation (excerpt from NetBSD):

--
Charlie "The Apocalypse" Li

with vishwin for off-list communication)