Rich Kulawiec on 27 May 2018 05:15:36 -0700

Re: [PLUG] groan

On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 05:36:59PM -0400, Rich Mingin (PLUG) wrote:
> Ah, that old saw... "If you have nothing to hide, why do you care if they
> are watching." It's not always about you belching, have you never
> communicated anything sensitive verbally?

It's also a matter of professionalism.  Those of us who manage systems
and networks have the responsibility of being prudent with our personal
security, since it's well-known that we're targets, and that anyone who
manages to compromise our security will likely have little difficulty getting
into everything we manage.  Yes, it sucks that this is now the case, but
there's no point pretending it's otherwise.  And I doubt that any of
us will handle this perfectly, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

But forget my take on it, because it's unimportant.  Consider instead how
this practice (or ones like it) will be treated by plaintiff's attorneys
who are engaged in litigation over a security breach/dataloss incident
and attempting to convince a judge or jury that defendant's operation
was willfully negligent.  Because that's where I think we're headed,
whether any of us like it or not.  (For the record: I don't like it.
But on the other hand, the collective security track record of the
entire IT sector deserves an F grade only because no lower one is
available.  If it comes to pass, we really did bring it on ourselves.)

---rsk