Casey Bralla on 29 May 2018 08:42:07 -0700

[PLUG] Cheap Firewall

I'm finally closing down all my servers in my basement on my comcast
commercial account and moving them all to rented servers in the cloud.
I'll be able to save a ton of money on internet charges, but will have
to give up a bunch of blinken lights.

I'm not sure how to setup a good firewall, however.

Up till now, I've been using an old PC with 3 network cards.  But
without the servers, this is way overkill.   I thought I might use an
old wireless router (in non-wireless mode) to provide NAT.  But I'm not
sure if that is robust enough.

Any suggestions from the list on setting up a good, low-power firewall
that is capable of gigabit speeds?

--

Casey Bralla