Rich Freeman on 27 Jun 2018 10:45:38 -0700

Re: [PLUG] LEARNGIN BIND / DNS

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 12:42 PM Ron Guilmet
<ronald.guilmet@phillydatasolutions.com> wrote:

> I currently don't have a solution needed other than understand this. For
> example cPanel installs DNS. cPanel gives you a choice of three DNS
> utilities to use, I think, and one is bind. I'm trying to figure out why
> the DNS is installed.

Looking at their website (VERY briefly) it seems like they're
providing DNS services as well as webhosting for your websites.

So, this is authoritative DNS, not recursive DNS.

This is outward-facing, so that somebody who types
www.phillydatasolutions.com in their browser gets the IP address of
your cPanel webserver (just an example).

Presumably you could also source your DNS from somebody other than
cPanel, assuming their IP is static, or they can update a dynamic DNS
elsewhere.

From the look of their website it is BIND/etc under the hood, but
you're basically given a simple web interface to configure the zone.

Honestly, I'm not sure what the pros/cons are for using them as a DNS
provider.  I use namecheap for my DNS (my registrar), because it is
free and does everything I need it to do.

> I guess my one public IP can be used to link or
> server multiple domain names?

It can - this is called virtual hosting, but this doesn't have
anything to do with DNS as far as I'm aware, at least not on the
server side.  The client gives the server the hostname it is fetching
for, and the server delivers the page for that host.  The IP is
obviously needed by the client to find the server, but the server
doesn't need to know its outside IP as far as I'm aware unless you're
doing IP-based virtual hosting (I'm not sure if that is even a thing,
though I could see how it might be if you had numerous internal
webservers directed from numerous external IPs, and any internal
server could service any external IP).

Hopefully this email isn't too confusing - there are a couple things
being discussed and DNS is one of those things that can be simple or
complex depending on what you're doing, and until you know what you're
doing it is hard to make it simple without leaving things out.  If
your goal is to "learn DNS" then maybe it makes sense to keep it
complex.

--
Rich