JP Vossen on 17 Jul 2018 11:47:29 -0700

[PLUG] Restic backup & TimeShift

Thanks to Lee for some great info last night at PLUG West.

To follow up on some discussion, here are some links about Restic I've found helpful:
* https://github.com/restic/restic  (Go)
* https://jpmens.net/2017/08/22/my-backup-software-of-choice-restic/
* https://jpmens.net/2017/09/06/my-restic-backend-of-choice-minio/
* Restic (repo) wrapper: https://github.com/binarybucks/restic-tools
* https://morimori.tokyo/2017/08/backups-with-restic-a-raspberry-pi-and-a-4tb-hdd/
	* Lots of great details!
* minio is an open source object storage server compatible with Amazon S3 APIs
	* https://github.com/minio/minio (Go)

I use BackupPC as my main backup tool and that has worked very well for many years, but that's on-site to disk. So I also use BoxBackup for critical stuff to a server at my Mom's house. BoxBackup does *exactly* the same things as Restic, it's just a bit more complicated to set up and use. Both are in the Debian/whatever repos.

We didn't get to talk about it, but Linux Mint has released "TimeShift" which is basically Mac Time Machine for Linux, implemented using `rsync` and hardlinks (like a whole bunch of other similar tools) or BTRFS. But it has a very nice GUI wizard and management tool that makes it drop-dead simple.

I've played with it a little, but I already have enough backup strategies. It also _sounds_ great, but it's not clear to me how you recover if something goes bad enough that you can't boot. I imagine there are CLI recovery methods if you can boot to a recovery shell or a previous kernel, but I haven't investigated.

HA, that's interesting. I just tried to run it on my Mint-17 desktop and it told me I don't have enough free space. I get "Not enough disk space (< 534.5 GB)" on my 1TB disk (that's really an mdadm mirror on 2x 1TB disks). Oh well...

Links:
* https://www.maketecheasier.com/backup-computer-timeshift-linux-mint/
* http://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/timeshift.html

Later,