Lee H. Marzke on 18 Jul 2018 06:33:50 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Restic backup & TimeShift

Thanks JP,

My presentation and the rbackup script are posted here:
http://plone.4aero.com/Members/lmarzke/talks/restic

After looking at Box Backup I see it does many of the same functions as Restic, but
the implementation is different.   Box requires a central server daemon , while restic
backs up to generic targets such as plain disks, FTP, or S3.  Restic does much of the
magic with content addressable files ( filenames on target are the contents SHA256 sum ).

Box uses TLS security which requires certificate setup,  while Restic uses a custom AES-256 in CTR mode
and Poly-1305-AES MAC as discussed here:

https://blog.filippo.io/restic-cryptography/

Box backup doesn't seem to implement either local or global du-duplication.  This is tricky,
and Restic explains the chunking algorithm here:
https://restic.net/blog/2015-09-12/restic-foundation1-cdc

But for me, Restic's speed in backing incrementals up over WiFi to S3 was what made the difference
over duplicity.

Lee