Michael Leone on 1 Aug 2018 05:23:40 -0700

Re: [PLUG] OT - battery replacement for an Android phone

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 10:56 PM, Keith C. Perry
<kperry@daotechnologies.com> wrote:
> With everything said, it seems like this is a case of a number of things
> yielded a bad user experience after a increasing failures.  Chances are that
> this started with the battery losing cells.  Everything else extends from
> that physical degradation.

Degraded. That's the term for it. :-(

> Bluetooth streaming shouldn't drain a battery that much- my N6 also died the
> same death and knowing that the device manufactures make replacing batteries
> difficult for a reason, I end up getting a Pixel 2.  I got 4 years out of my
> N6 and the reality is that, that is 2 to 2.5 years longer than the
> manufacturer wanted.  The mobile device industry wants to control the cycle
> and thus it is not consumer driven.  No one I know thinks mobile devices
> should be as much or more than laptops but this is where we are because of
> how that market works.

Yeah, I've read that the manufacturers expect battery (and this
device) life expectancy to be around 2 years before it starts
degrading. And for many people, it's the degrading that causes
upgrading. You may have seen the current TV commercial, where the
young guy is complaining that his phone is so slow, and everyone
around him just advises to get a new phone.

> My suggestion would be to bite the bullet this time and replace the device
> so you don't have the headache.  Going forward, limit your mobile device
> usage to when you are truly mobile.  I used to grab my phone to stream music
> while I was cooking or sitting out on the deck.  Now, I grab my Chromebook
> or stream from my desktop to my the nearest Chromecast.  Its less convenient
> but if I'm saving charge cycles, I'm extending the life of the battery.

Oh, I'm not worried when I'm at home; I have chargers and charging
cables on all floors. It's while being mobile that's aggravating me
more, as now I have to carry a power brick and cables, which
necessitates carrying a bag at all times. Or spending money on a
smaller, lighter battery that easier to carry, to charge up while I'm
out.

I listen to a *lot* of podcasts, so it's playing audio (over
Bluetooth; no, I don't want to go back to wired headsets, unless I
absolutely have to) most of the day, even at work. So the screen is
off for most of that time.
And while I'm actually mobile, like on public transit, or waiting for
public transit, I am using the screen - reading email, looking at
Twitter, etc. Checking my Google Keep shopping list when out buying
things, etc.
Very, very rarely watching video.

I'll listen at home, too, but there I can just plug in, and use the
Bluetooth speaker next to my TV ...