Rich Freeman on 2 Aug 2018 04:23:25 -0700

Re: [PLUG] LINUX ADMIN ADVICE

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 6:15 AM Rich Kulawiec <rsk@gsp.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 12:21:16PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
>
> > So simple that when a service dies, the OS doesn't know when it needs
> > to restart something it requires.
>
> If services are dying, then the system in question has been poorly
> engineered and should be repaired, not band-aided by having the
> service restarted on an ad hoc basis.

Sure, but while you're busying fixing bugs it doesn't hurt to have the
service still running, vs paying somebody to babysit it, or writing
custom scripts to babysit stuff for you.

Proving that your software doesn't have bugs is a near-impossible
task.  Defense in depth makes a lot more sense.  And as I mentioned
systemd does a lot more than just restart services.

IMO if your requirements are so simple that rc.local does everything
you need, there is a good chance that rc.local is already too complex
for you.  Why not just make init a bash script?

--
Rich