Ron Mansolino on 2 Aug 2018 07:14:40 -0700

Re: [PLUG] LINUX ADMIN ADVICE

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 2:23 PM Ron Guilmet <ronald.guilmet@phillydatasolutions.com> wrote:

Yes thank you all. I got a lot of good info out of this. It was pointed out, to me, that a specialty is not needed. There is enough out there. I have received good private critiques on my resume. A friend got me some labor work with him to tie me over. My options seem to be keep fighting to break into this field for a 30k job, or go back to previous work for 65k. I'm going to stop trying to force things. Sometimes I think I got swept up in the Linux end of things as a programmer. Maybe it is really programming I want to do.

I use to do VB 6 programming many many moons ago. I really enjoyed it. I'm starting to think that maybe programming may be where I should go, seeing that would bring me most joy. I like a challenge, it seems. The paid Linux admin work I've done up till now has been tearfully mundane. Maybe on the side, I should teach myself another language comparable to VB with GUI connecting to databases, building projects to show. Then see where the universe takes me. I have to remind myself that I am only responsible for the effort in life, not the results. See you around the water-cooler.  Thanks for helping me think this through.

I'm pretty much in the same boat; I don't want to get any further in-depth with _javascript_ that I already am, but that's where the $$$ is :(