Steve Litt on 2 Aug 2018 13:28:29 -0700

Re: [PLUG] People can't stop trashing systemd without reading the docs, you won't believe what happens next! (WAS: LINUX ADMIN ADVICE)

On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 14:19:09 -0400
brent timothy saner <brent.saner@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/01/2018 02:06 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 1:59 PM Charlie Li <ml+PLUG@vishwin.info>
> > wrote:

> >> We have a service to reset the network interfaces automagically
> >> now. Next.
> >
> > And how does that service know what else needs to be done when the
> > interfaces are reset?  Or is that a bunch of manual shell scripts,
> > so that you have to basically express the same dependencies in
> > multiple places?  :)
> >

> don't mind me, just fixing the subject.

Reading the docs is exactly why I refuse to use systemd. Systemd
is so complex and entangled that still, after all these years, nobody
has been able to draw a block diagram of systemd, with both boxes
representing processes and lines representing interactions.

Here's a block diagram of Daemontools, which is essentially identical
to Stage 2 of runit or s6:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/djbdns/daemontools_intro.htm#daemontools_mental_model

Stage 1 of runit is essentially "call an rc script", as is stage 3
(shutdown).

I tolerate complexity in my car because that complexity enables an
almost doubling of gas mileage and smog reduction beyond that. Systemd
has no such compelling benefit (unless you make your living consulting
on systemd).

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: The Key to Everyday Excellence