Fred Stluka on 24 Aug 2018 15:29:11 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Linux tip: Log IP addresses, not hostnames, for use by fail2ban...

Rich,

If you have even one service that allows passwords, it's vulnerable
to a brute force attack.  The difference between 3 and 3 trillion
attempts in 10 minutes is huge.  No one's going to guess a good
password in 3 tries.

Also, the fact that they get blocked after 3 tries tells them I have
active security measures like fail2ban in place, and encourages
them to move on to an easier target.

From the old joke:  "I don't have to run faster than the bear;
only faster than you."

--Fred
Fred Stluka -- Bristle Software, Inc. -- http://bristle.com
#DontBeATrump -- Make America Honorable Again!