Fred Stluka on 26 Aug 2018 17:45:48 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Linux tip: Log IP addresses, not hostnames, for use by fail2ban...

Steve,

So far I have no evidence that fail2ban is banning anything. No
evidence in /var/log/fail2ban.log, even when I tried to su - to root 5
times fast with a wrong password. So I'll need to do some more study.

By default, fail2ban blocks an IP after failed attempts to login
remotely via ssh.  It doesn't watch local su commands.  If it
found failed attempts what would it block?  The local IP address
of the server itself?  See what I mean?

To test it, try to ssh to the box without an SSL keypair, and
specifying a wrong password.  Do that a few times and you'll be
blocked.  Before you do, make sure you have another IP address
that you can get in from while the 1st one is blocked.  Use it to
unblock the 1st IP address.  Here's a script to do so:
- http://bristle.com/Tips/Unix/ipunblock_fail2ban
It calls this to beep when an error happens:
- http://bristle.com/Tips/Unix/beep

Are you also using logwatch and tripwire?  Logwatch sends you
counts of how many failed attempts there were.  Fail2ban blocks
persistent hackers.  Tripwire tells you if anyone actually succeeded
in breaking in.  The 3 together make a really nice team.  See:
- http://bristle.com/Tips/Unix.htm#unix_security

Tripwire reports changes to system files, which are usually
caused by you intentionally making a change, not by a hacker.
So, when there's a false positive like that, you have to tell tripwire
to update its DB to accept the change.  Here's a script to do so:
- http://bristle.com/Tips/Unix/tripwirereview

While I'm at it, you may like this script to create and install ssh
keypairs on remote servers:
- http://bristle.com/Tips/Unix/authorize_ssh_key
It uses the beep script above and also this one:
- http://bristle.com/Tips/Unix/promptloop

Enjoy!
--Fred
Fred Stluka -- Bristle Software, Inc. -- http://bristle.com
#DontBeATrump -- Make America Honorable Again!