Darren Nickerson on 6 Sep 2018 13:57:47 -0700

[PLUG] [Job Postings] Multiple positions in Linux/FOSS telecom (VoIP & FoIP)

Folks,

The short version of this post:

	https://www.ifax.com/careers
	https://www.t38fax.com/careers

The long version follows, for anyone who wants a bit more background.

It will come as no surprise to the readers of this list that Linux and FOSS can be very powerful disruptors of entrenched, proprietary industries. In our specific case, we’ve seen a revolution in telecommunications over the past decade thanks to the pioneering work of open source telephony toolkits such as Digium/Asterisk and FreeSWITCH. If you swim in those circles, or have been interested in moving your career in that direction, we’re currently recruiting for multiple positions at two different (but related) companies and we’d love to hear from you.

Let me get something out of the way first, … because it’s sure to turn a few heads. Both of the companies are involved in transmitting documents over telephone lines using something called … wait for it … FAX! As in, facsimile … that 1970-era technology that just won’t go away. I could say more here but I’ve said it before, at:

	https://www.t38fax.com/stubborn-persistence-of-fax/

Founded in 2002, iFAX Solutions was formed to sell hardware, software, technical support and consulting services to users of HylaFAX, one of the earlier examples of open source software dating back to 1991, in an era where people thought it quaint that Silicon Graphics (anyone remember them?) would permit one of its employees to write software and give it away. HylaFAX development was originally a Cathedral development model (one developer employed by SGI controlling all commits) until I took over as maintainer in 1996 and opened it up to more of a Bazaar, community-based model. We formed a company to cater to business users of HylaFAX in 2002, and since then we've been honored to have built big fax infrastructure for household names such as FedEX, Twitter, Google, RedHat, Disney, Verizon Wireless, AT&T, Sprint, Comcast, Boeing … well you get the idea.

You can see the positions open at iFAX at:

	https://www.ifax.com/careers/

Our most pressing need is the Linux Support Engineer position ($55-$75K depending on experience and aptitude). We have ‘Engineer’ in the title because this is not mindless helpdesk ‘read from a script’ kind of support. HylaFAX Is a linux package that touches many aspects of the OS including kernel drivers, serial ports, SMTP/DNS/DHCP etc and so we’re looking for a linux generalist with at least mid-level experience with RedHat/CentOS. We don’t expect candidates to have used HylaFAX before, but of course it’s an advantage if you have.

Somewhere along the line we realized that it’s great to sell our customers fax software with annually renewing technical support contracts, but really it was the phone companies who were making the most money from our customers over the long term. Also, many of our customers were migrating to SIP-based VoIP phone service and were having terrible problems getting HylaFAX to work well (for reasons that are well understood). Reliable faxing over SIP requires something called T.38 and although HylaFAX has supported T.38 for a long time, we couldn’t find a single phone company who offered T.38 that worked well (not even Level3, Verizon, Centurylink, Windstream, … none of them). Thus, T38Fax Incorporated was formed to sell fax-aware SIP trunks with guaranteed support for T.38 Fax Over IP to anyone using not just HylaFAX but ANY T.38 enabled device (Fax Servers, VoIP gateways, ATAs, etc). As far as we know, we’re the only company in the world who does this, and quite honestly, we rock. We’re in the middle of building out a second data center at 401 N Broad to accommodate our rapid growth and to add resiliency and redundancy to our service as we scale up the business model, and so it’s a very exciting time for our company.

You can see the positions open at T38Fax at:

	https://www.t38fax.com

Our most pressing need is for VoIP Support Engineer ($55-$75K) and Senior Systems Engineer - VoIP Applications ($85 - $105K).

If none of these positions interest you, perhaps you know someone who might be interested? We’re offering a $2500 finders fee to anyone who introduces us to a candidate who we end up hiring, and who remains employed for 12 consecutive months. Simply copy me on an email introducing the candidate to our job(s) and we’ll do the rest.

At this point I’ll let the job descriptions and websites speak for themselves but I would be happy to answer questions about any of the positions advertised. Thank you so much for your time!

-Darren