Eric H. Johnson on 18 Sep 2018 06:51:15 -0700

Re: [PLUG] plymouthd

Rich,

I will look at that the next time I am over there. I think I tried escape, but did not do anything.

Regards,
Eric

On September 18, 2018 9:38:34 AM EDT, Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 9:25 AM Eric H. Johnson <ejohnson@camalytics.com> wrote:

I have a computer setup in a senior center that continuously shows
something like a progress bar. It is 5 squares with five dots in the
center alternating red and white in sequence like a progress bar or
hour glass. It runs continuously both when logged into any account
and before and after, and never seems to complete whatever it is
waiting on. I traced what was causing it to the splash screen daemon
“plymouthd” (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Plymouth). If I kill that
task the progress bar goes away.

Did you try hitting esc to see the text console, or editing the grub
command line to remove "splash" from it? I'm not an Ubuntu guy, but
seeing the actual console log output will probably tell you more about
what it is actually waiting for.