Fred Stluka on 3 Oct 2018 06:58:59 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Thunderbird questions

Alan,

I think we should let Unicode go.  It is too big, and I need only a small fraction.  Don't Germans
          and French and Spaniards use TB?

Yes.  And they also use LibreOffice, and web browsers, and lots
of other apps and tools where they want to enter the special
chars of their languages.  I assume they use special keyboards
or set special keyboard mappings in their OS.

On my Mac, under Preferences, I can choose a variety of
keyboard mappings.  I use US English.  But there are hundreds
of other choices.  I could switch to any of them, and suddenly
the keys on my physical keyboard would generate different
characters.

I could also buy a physical keyboard that had the "glyphs" of
those chars instead of the US English ones on the key caps.  Or
could buy a separate set of keycaps to snap on.  Or an overlay
to put over the keyboard.

The reason you're having so much trouble is because you want
to type mostly US English (or whatever your preference is) and
only occasionally want to type a German, French or Spanish
char.  If you worked entirely in that other language, you'd just
set your keyboard to that mode.

So, it's not inconvenient for people who want to work in any one
language.  Only for those who want to work in a mix of languages
because there aren't enough keys on a standard keyboard to
support all of the chars of your primary language, plus a bunch
of extras.

That said, you could probably find an option or add-on
somewhere that allowed you to map unused keys like your
function keys (F1-F12, etc.) to special chars of your choosing.
I've never looked into that, but it seems like it must be out there.

Let us know if you find such a thing.  Others here may be
interested.

--Fred
Fred Stluka -- Bristle Software, Inc. -- http://bristle.com
#DontBeATrump -- Make America Honorable Again!
Register online to Vote: http://bristle.com/Vote