bergman on 5 Oct 2018 09:50:30 -0700

Re: [PLUG] The Big Hack: How China Used a Tiny Chip to Infiltrate U.S. Companies

Anyone else getting "helpful" notices from salesdroids at Enterprise
Server Vendors Who Shall Not Be Named alerting you to the fact that this
hack affects Supermicro...as if the other vendor doesn't source a lot
of their parts from China as well?

Think your favorite vendor isn't at risk for this kind of attack? See:

	https://docs.house.gov/meetings/IF/IF16/20180516/108301/HHRG-115-IF16-20180516-SD105-U105.pdf

IMHO, Supermicro was known to be involved simply because of market
share. The reports I've read don't seem to say that individual servers had
these spy chips added to the BMC with the knowledge that those machine
would be purchased by the target [bank|defense contractor|government
agency, etc], but that the chips were added as part of the production of
every machine. Maybe the attack was a bit more focused....for example, the
Chinese govt learns that a target of interest was ordering 30K servers,
so they bug the next 15K (45K) being produced by Supermicro.

There's nothing to suggest that the same thing isn't going on at
sub-assembly suppliers and affecting other vendors....and how would
we know?

Sure, I've got outbound firewalls (which are generally permissive),
and do some log analysis....but would I detect a couple of packets per
month sent by a hacked BMC to an off-site command-and-control server?

Mark