JP Vossen on 5 Oct 2018 11:57:32 -0700

Re: [PLUG] android

On 10/05/2018 02:34 PM, jeff wrote:
While troubleshooting my phone, my SD card dematerialized.
After buying another one, my phone went into the Bootloop of Death.
So tonight is phone night.

near $1k is ridiculous for a phone. Seeking recommendations for carrier V. I like the LG G7. She likes Samsung. Are there any slightly less ridiculous offerings that still perform? [No brand G, no iDevices]

This may go without saying, but avoid Sony like the plague.

My wife did a bunch of research (Consumer Reports, etc.) and bought 2 Sony XP something-or-others. Never again.

1) They messed with MTP to try to force you to use their crap software (Winblows and Mac only, of course). So you can't plug USB in and have camera or data storage Just Work. You can hack things to get gMTP to work on Linux, but that's incredibly ugly and incredibly slow. My wife & I had to write a 6-8 step cheat sheet just so she can get pictures off it.

2) Their customer support sucks. OK, everyone's does, but my kid cracked a screen and Sony said (direct quote): "In response to your request we inform that we understand that you want to repair your device in an authorized Sony center, unfortunately we do not handle repair centers in US for devices out of warranty in this moment but we are working to solve this situation, our recommendation is to contact a trusted third party technician in order to solve this issue."

2.1) NOWHERE on their site is there anything about cracked screens, I had to open a support request.

2.2) We just bought the phone ~1 year ago, I don't think it's out of warranty.

3) Replacing the screen looks like a giant PITA, and so far the places we've talked to won't touch it. I'll probably end up doing it myself, which I really don't want to do.

Avoid, avoid, avoid!

Later,
JP