Rich Freeman on 5 Oct 2018 14:56:13 -0700

Re: [PLUG] The Big Hack: How China used a tiny chip to generate ridiculous replies

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 4:58 PM Keith C. Perry
<kperry@daotechnologies.com> wrote:

> Even on the software front, too many "programmers" just grab libraries
> and code from the net.  How many do that **before** flow charting and
> constructing their solutions with pseudo code or prototypes to see if
> they want to or should use an existing library?  How many of these
> programmers fit their solutions around the code they find in the wild
> versus finding the bits that will fit **their** solution?

If anything I find the reverse is true.  I am dealing with groups
exchanging xml and it seems like everybody involved is writing their
own parsers.  This includes a company that basically specializes in
EDI interfacing.  It causes various headaches, and if there is a
problem and I ask somebody if the xml validates they look at me like I
have two heads.

If you're about to contemplate writing your own xml parser, DO NOT do
any flow charting.  DO NOT use pseudo code.  DO NOT think about the
problem at hand.  JUST USE THE LIBRARY!!!!

Yes, there are probably situations where that blanket advice.  If you
work in anything resembling a normal job they don't apply to you...

--
Rich