Lee H. Marzke on 17 Nov 2018 09:17:04 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Open Source Equivalent of WordPerfect

For formal documents,  such as Design Documents, etc.  I had been using Docbook for years,
then moved to the Fedora Publican toolchain.   Looks like that hasn't had an update in 4
years or so.   Then I moved to AsciiDoc, and AsciiDoctor which use a Wiki markup language
instead of XML and publishes to HTML/PDF, etc or also to Docbook and Publican.

This produces correct two-sided PDF ( with page numbers on alternating sides ), indexes,
tables, images,  etc.    Has existing style-sheets for multi-page HTML, and PDF output.
This is overkill if your not producing 40+ pages.   Docbook has a steep learning curve, so
the AsciiDoctor route is much easier.

https://asciidoctor.org/docs/asciidoc-writers-guide/

https://powerman.name/doc/asciidoc

I remember that it was hard to install  Publican on other than Fedora, so I have a Fedora VM just for documentation tooling.

Technically this is text processing, not word processing.   I  use Emacs nXML mode to edit Docbook.    Emacs has an adoc-mode
for Asciidoc but I haven't used it yet.

But you can't typically make it do what you want - you only get formal output per the stylesheets which looks
much like other RedHat

Examples of HTML and PDF output are here:
http://clusterlabs.org/pacemaker/doc/

Most  on-line projects only use HTML output , as the PDF tool chain is much more complicated to get working, but it certainly works.

Also the source for any report will likely be dozens of files ( so you need a source control repo to manage a single doc )
along with the build config

I use LibraOffice for everything else.

Lee