Rich Freeman on 29 Nov 2018 09:32:18 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Hackers are opening SMB ports on routers so they can infect PCs with NSA malware

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 12:18 PM jeff <jeffv@op.net> wrote:

> On 11/29/18 12:02 PM, Michael Leone wrote:
> > Is UPnP routinely turned on, when you buy a new router? I didn't think
> > it was. Which means you, or something on your LAN, turned it on, in the
> > first place ...
> >

> Same with the AWS buckets. Closed by default, so the people who
> purposely open them have the enemy in-house (from my reading). It's
> Shodan at the IT Corral.

I imagine that client tool settings may be an issue here.  I
discovered a bucket with a public ACL earlier this week.  Fortunately
everything in it was encrypted anyway (I don't trust Amazon with my
data, let alone the world), so it wasn't really a big deal, but if
somebody figured out a working URL they could have run up a bill.  I
suspect that s3cmd may have set the wrong ACL at some point, or maybe
I was just careless setting up the bucket.  The bucket is quite old so
I'm sure it has been through a few rounds of defaults.

In the case of AWS you can set a bucket-level setting that overrides
all ACLs inside to block public access, so at most you can grant
access to named users.

--
Rich