Chad Waters on 3 Dec 2018 09:53:16 -0800

Re: [PLUG] OT: MontCo Dispatch system web & RSS

There is an iPhone app that maps that data:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/montco-incidents-and-radio/id420250824?mt=8

I haven't been tethered to a (work) iPhone in a while, I can't attest to the current version. I am unaware of an Android equivalent.

On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 12:18 PM JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
On 12/3/18 12:25 AM, brent timothy saner wrote:
> do note that if you based a web format around the bit i gave, the feed
> seems to have short persistence - they seem to trim their own entries
> (which makes sense for such a dynamic-centered realtime feed) so you'd
> probably want to either write to disk or store in a DB, etc.

Yes, I should have mentioned that too.  The RSS XML has TTL = "2" which
I assume is 2 hours, but it does go very fast.  My RSS reader is now
checking every 30 mins and I've got 175 records since 9:05 last night.

Note any persistent local storage with one of those scripts would need
to deal with duplicates when you run the script every N period of time.
It looks like the "description" field could be used for a unique key to
handle that.

Later,
JP