brent timothy saner on 7 Dec 2018 09:39:36 -0800

Re: [PLUG] How to Store Video Files for 25 Years?

On 12/7/18 12:31 PM, Michael Lazin wrote:
> I was skeptical of the practicality of your suggestion Brent so I tested
> it.  I turned a picture of me in Heidelberg Germany into base64 at the
> command line and did a line count with wc -l and was surprised that it
> was only 296 lines of base64 code.

and note that's presumably using the default of 76 cols (chars). that
can be changed with -w flag (-w 0 to free fill).

in a libreoffice doc with default margin spacing, 8pt FreeMono font at
default kerning etc., i can get 103 chars/ln - obviously, the more
chars/ln, the less overall lines which means less pages. there's
definitely a risk of making the font size too small for it to be
feasibly and 100% accurately OCR'd though, so be careful of that. that
exact size will depend on what OCR engine, the quality of the print in
DPI, and the quality of the scan in DPI when reading back in.