Fred Stluka on 9 Dec 2018 17:34:10 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Yet another fresh linux exploit

Charlie,

On 12/6/18 7:49 PM, Charlie Li wrote:
You may end up "needing" to run a daemon that solves a problem or does
something you need. Many times daemons run as their own UID and GID;
sometimes they're even codified. Unbeknownst to you, there's some
runtime checking that specifically checks for a specific UID or GID. If
that program asks for a UID or GID greater than 32 bits, and you had no
idea about this kind of underlying system flaw, well?
Yeah, but wouldn't the bad actor program that requests a specific UID
have to be running with privileges anyhow, in order to be able to create
a user at all?  So, why bother to use this exploit to gain root access.  It
already has it!  Just do the damage immediately, inserting a keylogger,
recruiting the server into a botnet, using it as a spam engine, or
whatever.  Why bother creating a new user that I might notice?

I'm far less concerned about exploits that you already have to be root
to take advantage of.  Or am I missing something?

--Fred