Fred Stluka on 9 Dec 2018 22:43:53 -0800

Re: [PLUG] How to Store Video Files for 25 Years?

Casey,

Lots of good advice already.  My 2 cents, since I currently have
valid copies of every single file I've ever created and every single
non-spam non-list email I've ever sent or received FOR THE PAST
36 years.

*Don't archive. *Keep it all on your current hard disk with your
current files.  And do regular backups of all your files.  Anything
else will become a separate non-critical chore and get neglected.

*Don't use external media. *It WILL become obsolete.  I used to
backup to floppies, then Zip disks, then CDs, then DVDs, then
USB flash drives, but once regular hard drives got big enough
and cheap enough, I just back up to them and don't have to
worry any more about external media becoming obsolete.

*Keep multiple copies.*  I wrote a backup script years ago.
Using it, I have ALL of my files on my hard drive, with daily
incremental backups and a full backup to the same hard drive
for quick recovery in case of user error.  And daily updated full
backup of critical files to a USB thumb drive that I carry with me
at all times.  And daily incrementals and full backups to a USB
enclosure of a spinning hard drive.  And daily sync with a hot
standby Mac that I can switch to if my main Mac ever fails.
And daily incrementals and full backups to a separate folder on
the standby Mac.  And backup of most stuff to one of my Linux
servers in the AWS cloud.  And I buy a new external USB drive
every few months and put the old one in my off-site safe deposit
box.  Like I said, I've never lost ANYTHING!

For servers, I typically have NOTHING original there.  It's all
created and edited on a laptop, pushed to the server by an
automated process that compares it first, showing me the diffs.
All source code also has one or more copies of a Git repo.  All
servers have cron jobs that use rsync to backup to other servers.
If everything is in the cloud, a cron job backs it up to a local
NAS drive just to have one local non-cloud copy.  Always multiple
copies, many days of incrementals, many years of monthlies or
quarterlies, etc.  Script it all and don't worry about it.  Just replace
a hard drive now and then, and put the old one in the safe
deposit box.

*Do diffs. *Part of my standard automated daily routine is to diff
a bunch of critical files and directories against yesterday's backup
to spot unexpected changes or bit rot.  For my admin files, it's
also a good way to review all the changes I made intentionally
yesterday, make sure I didn't leave any loose ends, make sure
I'm billing the right clients for tasks I did, hours I spent, etc.

Despite all of the combinations that my backup script does, it's
pretty simple.  Each step is just a single rsync command, like
this:
- http://bristle.com/Tips/Unix.htm#rsync_full_and_incremental_backup

See the complete script at:
- http://bristle.com/Tips/Mac/Unix/quick

And rsync is BLINDINGLY fast.  I use it every day, often multiple
time per day.  Just before I run out for lunch, when I'm done at the
end of the day, etc.  With 10,000+ directories and 100,000+ files,
it finds the 100 or so modified files and copies them or the modified
portions of them to a USB drive or another computer in less than 60
seconds.

*Don't use proprietary backup formats.*  Keep your backups as
normal files so you can copy them, diff them, etc.  Maybe
compress them if you trust the compress/decompress programs
to be around forever, but do NOT use proprietary binary backup
formats.  I just keep mine as plain regular files copied by rsync.

Note: Most of my files are text, not images or videos.  And simple
ASCII files that may be HTML, not Word docs or other huge file
formats.  So I keep my storage requirements small.  My 35 years
worth of stuff is less than 50GB.

--Fred
Fred Stluka -- Bristle Software, Inc. -- http://bristle.com
#DontBeATrump -- Make America Honorable Again!