Steve Litt on 8 Dec 2018 12:44:51 -0800

Re: [PLUG] How to Store Video Files for 25 Years?

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 04:28:32 -0500
Casey Bralla <MailList@NerdWorld.org> wrote:

> My options:
>
> 1.  DVD.   Pros:  Media will survive intact in normal environments.
> Cons:  Bulky.  Will you be able to buy old DVD players at Goodwill in
> 25 years?
> 2.  USB Hard Disk:  Pros:  Media will probably survive.  Good size
> (not too big, but not too small to lose)   Cons:  Will USB 3.0 still
> exist? 3.  USB SSD:   Pros: Small size.  Physically robust for
> storage. Cons: Will SSD data last 25 years?   Will USB 3.0 still
> exist? 4.  USB Thumb Drive:  Pros: Easy to mail to them.   Cons:
> Small, so can get lost easily.  Will data last 25 years?  Will USB
> 3.0 exist? 5.  3.5 Floppy (Yes, I still have the drives!)  Pros:
> None   Cons: Don't be silly
>

> Any suggestions?

There's a piece of information that's never been given or asked for.
How much disk space do these converted movies comprise? 10MB? 1GB? 1TB?

If 10MB, just put it on your daily driver computer, on a dedicated
(normally) read-only partition, and back it up with your normal data.
As you make future changes to backup format, your movies will go on the
new backup formats, so presumably obsolescence won't be a problem.

If 1GB, you could perhaps do the same thing as 10MB. Or have it on the
same read-only partition, but back it up to (4.7G) DVD every time you
add to it, and save those DVDs in a bank safety deposit box.

If 1TB, you have a whole nother situation. There's no optical solution:
The archive would require 40 Blu-ray discs. You'd need to have it on
multiple spinning rust drives. I can get into that more if it turns out
to be the case.

SteveT

Steve Litt
December 2018 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21