Christopher Barry on 11 Dec 2018 19:05:13 -0800

Re: [PLUG] How to Store Video Files for 25 Years?

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 04:28:32 -0500
Casey Bralla <MailList@NerdWorld.org> wrote:

>As a Christmas present to my wife, I'm converting old VHS home movies
>that we started filming in the early 1990's.  I bought a $35 USB gizmo
>that came with a Windows-only application.  I'm using an ancient laptop
>with Windows 10 (ugh!  I HATE Windows 10, and the the laptop is way
>under powered for it.)  But it seems to be working pretty well.  It
>creates mpg files which I will edit and burn to DVDs on my Linux
>machine.  My wife wants DVDs, but I'd like to also give copies of the
>videos to my 20-something kids.
>
>I figure the videos will be most valuable to my kids in about 25
>years. I'll be in the rest home (or worse), and their kids will be
>interested in their parents as infants.
>
>How do I store the files so that they are secure and readable in 25
>years?
>
>My options:
>
>1.  DVD.   Pros:  Media will survive intact in normal environments.
>Cons:  Bulky.  Will you be able to buy old DVD players at Goodwill in
>25 years?
>2.  USB Hard Disk:  Pros:  Media will probably survive.  Good size (not
>too big, but not too small to lose)   Cons:  Will USB 3.0 still exist?
>3.  USB SSD:   Pros: Small size.  Physically robust for storage. Cons:
>Will SSD data last 25 years?   Will USB 3.0 still exist?
>4.  USB Thumb Drive:  Pros: Easy to mail to them.   Cons:  Small, so
>can get lost easily.  Will data last 25 years?  Will USB 3.0 exist?
>5.  3.5 Floppy (Yes, I still have the drives!)  Pros:  None   Cons:
>Don't be silly
>

>Any suggestions?

I think the issue is that continuous conversion will be needed as
formats and technologies change over time. You certainly *could* store
them on some medium that could physically last 25 years, optical
comes to mind, but the problem will be how will your kids ever play them
back in 25 years. You'd need the complete system to guarantee you can
play them back unless you are constantly converting them to the newer
technologies and formats.